View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
Hanna B
Sweden
Re: Kotegaeshi: hand or wrist?

Just to make sure we all are talking about the same things... I could have been more precise, to begin with.

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
When I began to learn aikido I was told to hold the hand. No other way of kote gaeshi. Placing the thumb on the back of the hand of uke. Ever.
When I had to change the dojo, they never did this there. They grabbed the wrist of uke and I was completely baffled.
All versions of kotegaeshi that I have seen and practised have had tori's thumb on the back of uke's hand. What I'm referring to is how low/high on the hand you place the grip - if you'll cover the wrist, or not. Do you mean your current version just holds around the wrist, no thumb on the back of the hand? Since you can do gotegaeshi holding the underarm all versions should be possible, I guess. But I've never seen this one.

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
We grab the hand (around the meaty part of the thumb) and roll the fingers in an angle behind the back of uke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DOhGmysZyo
Where does he have his little finger and ring finger? On uke's palm, or around his/her wrist? The second possibility is the "wrist" version I am referring to. These fingers prevent the wrist from bending very much inwards.

Quote:
My understanding of this:
Two different ways to "construct" this technique. Dealing more with the joint (holding the hand) or trying more to get connected to the whole body (holding the wrist).
Thank you! I was thinking of something like that. I guess it should be possible to do the kotegaeshi "hand only" version with an excellent connection from center to center - but perheps more difficult to learn it this way?

Quote:
The direction of twisting the hand differs. The way of kuzushi is different. Just a different "picture" of kote gaeshi.
Just how is the direction of twisting of the hand different? More out if holding wrist, more "inwards" towards uke's underarm if hand only, or something else? And what about the kuzushi?