View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #32
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: Aikido and Music

Quote:
Rudy Ternbach wrote: View Post
That assumes, and I can understand why people would think this way, that extraneous sights and sounds are most likely to get in the way of the practice of Aikido and the seeking of enlightenment. Just for an exercise however, and despite the risks you mention, try a thought experiment.
What risks did I mention? I'm a bit lost there....

I maybe was unclear. I don't see Music as a distraction from aikido as I said we often hear it while we train. I just don't really see the need for some outside influence such as music to inform my aikido. Enlightenment is a whole other matter which aikido is a part of that journey but certainly not the only thing that is on the path.

Quote:
Rudy Ternbach wrote: View Post
is absolute silence the only way we will ever get a chance to hear the sounds of heaven? On the other hand, maybe the sacred music of the universe can be heard even with the radio on and the right music playing. Just a thought.
And you can see the stars when you stand on a city street when you look up at night. But you sure can see them in a lot more detail out in the mountains away from all of those street lights.

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post

My sensei often says, "You're trying to make two nervous systems work together." This is true in partner practice, and it would be true even in an adversarial situation, where you're being attacked. You can't just go on dancing to your own tune, oblivious to what's going on with the other person. And you definitely don't want some recorded third party telling you what the tune should be.
Yes exactly.

Personally... I think on the subway I would not want to be distracted and remove myself from being aware of all of those people around me. Many times it has been proven that such things do indeed distract people and reduce awareness. I would far rather maintain my awareness of what is going on around me and escape a potential danger than to escape a minor discomfort by distracting myself from the reality of what and who is around me.