View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #135
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Tadashi Abe and Kenji Tomiki and their criticism

Quote:
Oisin Bourke wrote: View Post
Fair enough, but you did comment that you had some level of understanding of what Shihan level practitioners (In Daito Ryu in this case) were doing from video clips.I believe you also have had some experience of DR when in Japan, so I was interested to read you point of views on this.

You also mentioned that senior teachers like Yamaguchi could do some skills, but could not explain or analyze what they were doing,
and that the "Japanese" model is an inferior vehicle for transmitting these skills compared to the "Western" model.

I don't disagree with this view BTW, but surely an open transmission of these skills includes open discussion an analysis?

Most people interested in this area are complete beginners in any event.
I did a few years with various Daito-ryu groups, but I was never really a Daito-ryu guy. I went to a lot of Yamaguchi's classes - they were almost all the same, and almost nobody ever seemed to be doing quite what he was. My experience with Yamaguchi's students is that a few of them managed to get something at some level, but had a hard time explaining it or transmitting it themselves.

As I said, we discuss things openly - feel free to come by anytime

Best,

Chris