View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States
Re: The Bad Habits Thread

Oh no, I have to make a confession. I contributed to the Ki Exercises thread, because I have used a few when teaching at the local Y years ago. However, the true story is the example I used back then, was not as in Phi and Matt's posts, supermodels, but Raquel Welch. In the Ki thread, I just used some vague idea of something the students wanted, like dinner, I'll have to look it up. but at least I just confessed in this thread.

It's the exercise where you ask the student to walk to the other end of the mat, thinking they forgot to turn off the stove back home or something like that. Someone pulls on your shoulder and you fall backwards, because that's where your mind is. And if you think Raquel Welch is at the other end of the mat, the person pulling on your shoulder doesn't matter, you are going to keep walking forward because that is where your mind is going....

(Hope the women aren't mad at me for confessing to using that example, but that's the way the exercise was originally taught to me, by an American male instructor, and my students were guys also...)