View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #101
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States
Re: Tadashi Abe and Kenji Tomiki and their criticism

Quote:
You suggest to take the sword and start practising with it. I will discuss this with my iai and jo teacher. It seems there are people on this forum who don't know each other very well and by not knowing the backround of the person making a "strange" remark.
Um, are you saying my comment about suburi strikes you as strange? Why? O-Sensei said: "When you have no sword, move as if you had a sword." How can I do that if I don't know how I'm supposed to move with a sword? Anyway, let's take this digression off to the other thread.

Quote:
Larry: As with anything to do with "IP" if you are not aware of how your mind affects subtle aspects of your body's alignment, muscular organization etc. you can do the movements for a lifetime and not get anything out of it but a good sweat and some exercise... One simple example of this is the second movement in the Shodokan "warm ups", just after jumping to get the blood going. The hand/arm positions shown are a very basic example of aiki age and aiki sage, but if one is not aware of what mental imagery, skeletal alignments, breathing and internal tensions that should be associated with the movement, they simply shake their arms up and down and then squat.
This is interesting and I'd love to hear more about it, but you do realize that this is exactly the criticism that is being leveled against traditional aikido training, don't you? The external forms are taught but not the understanding of internals that gives the external form life, and because they're internal it's very hard to figure them out on one's own. So we all end up practicing pretty movements that don't mean anything. We have to bring an understanding of these aspects of "mind" back into our training explicitly if we want to elevate aikido as an art.

I'm interested that Tomiki considered the IP stuff "tricks". What's a trick and what's core to aikido? Good technique? Joint locks? Using movement to lead uke off balance? IP? Aikido brings all those together into a unified whole, which is part of what makes it such a fascinating art. I have to say tho, so far as I'm concerned, it's the internal connection (which IP enables) that matters. Without that, the rest is just sound and fury.

Quote:
Philip: before the thread degenerates any further into Tony vs. the world, I'd just like to make acomment about the original topic.
Actually, the "Tony vs. the world" thread is here. Please make a note of it.