View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #18
Alberto_Italiano
Re: Does Anybody Know Whether This Technique Has a Name?

Hallo

ok I am trying to describe this better. To be sure, this happened in a real confrontation - something that last time happened to me 10 years ago. Not big deal, a drunkard attempting to throw a bottle at my face - that nice. And to be sure I was scared as HELL and not ashamed of saying it!

Unfortunately we have no video of that Kodak moment...

First just let me thank you all for your time, and let me answer to Graham objection: though dodging a hook by lowering may not be an aikido encouraged or appropriated procedure, it is the standard procedure with boxing.
Unfortunately that was my background 20 years ago and I still dodge hooks by lowering, instinctively.

But as Attilio stated, it's not important - the fact is, what came out by this "mistake" was something very effective when inserting Aikido principles on it.

In this case the right hook with the bottle: I lower. As I dodge lowering, I find my left hand near my chin and my right hand in front of my eyes and forehead.
Place yourself in such position, with slightly bent knees - it's easy.

Now I raise back (you too) to stand up once again. This is the most natural thing to do.

My right forearm gains a contact with uke's right arm. It is normal in such a dynamic. You may envision it easily, at least till this point.

Place your right hand in front of your face, at some average distance. Now lower and then raise back. Imagine now that you stand back again, that your right arm in front of your face feels the contact with ukes right forearm.

[0]
In this setting uke's right arm is on the right side of your face, and your right forearm intercept it and clashes with it as you stand back.

Now I try to describe the natural eveolution of the thing, how this technique came out by itself.

[1]
You instinctively push aside uke's right arm with your right arm. While doing so your right forearm "accidentally" (or naturally?) slips over uke's right arm.

[2]
At this point you're pushing it aside rightward but as you do that, you also have a natural tendency to push it downward.

[3]
It is at this point that you may realize that, in a "close combat" setting (sorry for the funny wording, Englihs is not my native lang), ukes hand is spontaneously going under your right armpit.

[4]
At this point I realize i can trap uke's arm there and I close my armpit.

[5]
Doing that motion my right arm has now performed a 360 degrees rotation around uke's arm: I find myself back to position [0] but with a significant change: uke's hand is locked under my armpit and my arm has rotated around uke's arm so now: his right hand under my armpit, my right bicep on the inner side of uke's right arm, my right forearm on the outward side of uke's arm.

[6]
The back of my hand is against uke's elbow, his right hand trapped under my armpit. You realize immediately there is a leverage there, if you exert pressure with your right hand.
Do exert such pressure. (you may call in your left and to aid your right hand). Imageine you have no time to think, you feel there is an opportunity and yous seize it.

[7]
NOW do tenkan - no matter what else. Do it.
Uke will rotate with you and will be projected forward on his knees.