View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #12
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Basic Kamae - What to do when the Nage's fingers get grabbed

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Phil:

There was absolutely no kazushi in that video clip, so it is not surprising that this person had an opportunity to do a counter. If the nikyo was executed with the person's center being disturbed, I do not think that the person would be so successful in countering. I think that some people make a mistake of simply attacking the wrist (or any particular joint with joint locks) on a nikyo without any connection and unbalancing (or jamming) of the person's center.

Regards,

Marc Abrams
This was a perfectly good application of what I would call the "neutral pivot point". However, the fellow being countered wasn't running any real connection to the center. his energy was all at the wrist. So the counter worked just fine. It would not be as easy if the guy applying the "nikkyo" had some idea how to get "inside" his partner and touch his center. It's not a criticism... all counters are ipso facto only happening when the opponent has left an opening. A technique done really properly doesn't get countered. So, since they were showing the "counter" I wouldn't have expected any more emphasis on how to better do the nikkyo than there was.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com