View Single Post
Old 09-03-2002, 03:59 PM   #6
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: How serious a teacher are you?

Quote:
Dave Organ (DaveO) wrote:
1) ...how serious are you about teaching?

2) Do you show up for class and say "OK, gang, what do you want to learn today? OK, let's try that."

3) Do you spend hours a few days before class studying material, writing and revising lesson plans, and rehearse a class until it shines?

4) When tasked to teach, is teaching secondary to your Dojo experience or primary?

In other words, how do you personally approach teaching Aikido?
1) I am a teacher by profession (MA, School for International Training, Brattleboro, VT.) I bring teaching theory and experiences from the classroom to bear on lesson planning for the mat.

2) Never.

3) Always. And often end up trashing it to follow the students. The planned lesson is sine qua non to good teaching, but as one of the leading lights of my profession put it, "One learns to teach from learning". I take this to mean not only MY learning, but the learning I observe in my students. Consider it the shu-ha-ri of pedagogy.

4) When I began, it was a chance to see improvement in interested students. Predictably enough, I learn as much or more than they; indeed, working with my students regularly adds items to my own training agenda. I also indulge my own intersts a little in class to practice items on that above-mentioned agenda.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/