View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #17
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: How to Leave a Dojo?

I would definitely talk to your teacher. Sometimes something else can be worked out. Some dojo's will allow you to do odd jobs to help as payment. Other dojo's would rather you stay and not pay then leave. Either way, they may be out of your money and if you are an integral part of the dojo, my guess is they will want you to stick around. I have seen this happen in both dojo's I have trained in. The fact of the matter is, when you train with them several times a week for hours on end, they do become close friends and family. Talk in private if you are a bit embarrassed of your situation. That is what I did with my sensei.

Just know you aren't alone with what you are going through. Right now my husband and I are spending $200 a month at the dojo for everything we are doing (I've been paying dues even though I haven't been able to train the past couple months) and we would be much better off if we didn't pay. We have been discussing a scholarship with my sensei. I would look at all of your available options in order to keep something that you enjoy in your life. If you do have to leave though, aikido will be there waiting for you when you are ready to hit the mats again.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.