View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
osaya

Australia
static vs. dynamic waza

to provide a brief context for my question, i've trained in several aikido 'branches' and have experienced different emphases by the senseis whilst doing waza.

when training kihon waza, my first school was fairly static. when uke grabbed, the grip was firm and static (i.e. no overt pushing or pulling). of course, there were variations between ukes, but that was the general feeling.

at the next 'branch', i went through almost a 180 degree shift into almost purely dynamic waza, i.e. uke were constantly moving/pushing/pulling - from slow to fast. loved it. techniques worked beautifully, and flowingly.

and now, at a different dojo due to an interstate move, it's a mix of static and dynamic.

when i was training 'dynamically', i was sort of going through an aikido 'growth spurt phase' in middling-high kyu level then, and i felt myself learning really quick at that point. as there were different factors happening, i couldn't isolate whether it was the training style itself that was great, or that was simply a confounding variable for my growth period.

i struggled a while when i had to go back to static waza as i felt like i had to do much more work, i.e. rather than leading the uke, i had to give my own energy to move them, which i thought/felt was antithetical to being aiki.

but rather than whinging and wasting my training opportunity, i've been trying to shift my mentality about static training.

i'd really appreciate getting some viewpoints and ideas about the differences between static and dynamic waza, the benefits of each, and maybe tips of how to maximise the learning from both.

onegai shimasu.