View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 02:14 AM   #321
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Got pwned by boxer =-(

Quote:
Keith Burnikell wrote:
But, before you spar you do the 'reps'! It's just easier to get to sparring in boxing.

Unfortunately, I know far too many Shodans/Nidans that simply would not be able to acquit themselves in a scrap, let alone against a boxer with just 6 months training. So the question remains: In 4 years how many jabs does a boxer throw sparring vs ikkyo by a Shodan? 100:1 ; 1000:1 How many minutes of randori vs how many hours of sparring?

I believe there's an opportunity here!
I do, too!

But I strongly dispute the notion that an aikidoist can't be at the same level as a boxer in 6 months, all other things being equal.

A boxer obviously prepares for boxing. What are we preparing for? Boxing?

True. That will not be accomplished in 6 months, primarily, because it is a foolish pursuit.

How could training in techniques that are not designed for the context of boxing prepare you for that context?

On the other hand, it you train the techniques of aikido in their proper context (weapons and multiple opponents) and with resistance, i.e., sparring, it is very possible to develop competent martial artists in a time frame closer to what we expect from boxing or bjj.

That is the new frontier of aikido.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki