View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #30
lbb
United_States
Re: uke getting hurt

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
I appreciate the comments. I don't know if I would go as far as to imply that my [non-infected] students "... continue to go through life, and blood-drawing aikido practice, in a state of dangerous ignorance." That seems pretty judgmental at least.
That wasn't exactly what I said. I stated that this practice enables people to remain ignorant. Obviously this would not include people who already know better by virtue of knowledge gained outside your dojo. I feel that a policy of "no people with (fill in the blank)", stated as such, has some dangerous holes in it, partly because most people are not aware of their own status (there are a lot of blood-borne diseases out there, and most people never get tested for any of them), and partly because it doesn't really address the facts of how blood-borne pathogens are transmitted (the risks of HIV transmission are very different from the risks of hep B transmission, for example).

Trying to bring this back to the subject of the thread, consider the example of a student whose physical condition means that aikido training is a serious strain (for example, a non-infectious medical condition). This goes beyond ukemi and into the rigors of the training itself. What is the instructor's responsibility to curtail this student's activities (or is there one)?