View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #271
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
United_States
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Something that strikes me as odd about this thread is the lack of discussion about approach to aikido or staff. Given the political aspects brought up here I can understand it to a degree, but I don't see how peak oil, etc. are relevant to "non-aikido martial traditions," or even aikido martial traditions. I'm also curious about the point behind posting pictures...other than possibly to show pre-existing martial experience?
I'm not trying to be negative here. It just strikes me as a little odd and my curiosity has got the better of me (I'm putting out my impressions in order to have them put in check where others see fit to do so).
I'm also hoping to spark conversation about aiki and staff. I can't claim much, if anything, on the "internal" aspects, but what I have experienced certainly points to the power of weapons training in developing such qualities. I remember a small leap occuring after I began really focusing on ken and jo work, particularly when I began looking at each "part" as one long continuation of cut(s).
At any rate, I'd like to hear more about Tenyu's understanding of staffwork and/or aiki, since that seems to be at the heart of the thread.
Take care,
Matt
Matt,

I'm using this platform to inform people about peak oil because it's something that'll affect everyone's lives in the near future yet almost no one knows of it. The house is on fire and I'm giving the opportunity for people to find out about it if they want to.

I could talk all day about Aikido but that wouldn't be efficient. Is there anything you'd like to know specifically about the staff or Aikido in general?

-Tenyu