View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #114
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Future of Aikido

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Those would be good examples of pro's and con's, too. Knowing *what* silk-reeling is would be handy for people to know, in principle, rather than just looking at some outward set of movements and saying "this is an example of silk reeling". In other words, people need to ask questions rather than just "Oh, so that's what silk reeling looks like... we do something that looks like it in class, so we have that part of it covered". In terms of the 'future of Aikido', it's easy to see how that can go astray.

If someone wants to leave it at "well, all definitions of 'silk reeling' are OK because opinions vary among different teachers', then we're back to Mary Eastland's argument and she's right. Whatever she wants to call "internal strength" is just as valid as whatever Dan is talking about, Ushiro is talking about, Joe Blow is talking about, and so on. If all opinions are valid and no one wants to say "Billy Bob's opinion is wrong and here's why", then basically the future of Aikido is going to be pretty much what the present is.

In terms of what Doran Sensei is teaching, I haven't seen it (I'll check YouTube), and my comment was more that I'd like to see it (if someone will read my post... it's still there). Actual reeling-silk would be valid for Aikido (can be logically demonstrated as a fact), but a loose use of the term "reeling silk" just leaves the usual vague questions and assertions floating around. I.e., buzzword talk.

2 cents.

Mike Sigman