Thread: Atemi
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2000, 11:11 AM   #20
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Re: Check!

Quote:
Yo-Jimbo wrote:

A wise White king tells his armies to move out into threatening positions developing slowly and not over extending himself or his pieces. His impatient enemy the Black king is threatened and confused by the flury of attacks and so engages them disjointly. The Black king can't remove them all at once and so must respect them all and is thus backed into a corner and pinned down. The White kings sees the openings and puts the Black king in repeated Check. The end is inevitable.
"The real art of peace is not to sacrifice a single one of your warriors to defeat an enemy. Vanquish your foes by always keeping yourself in a safe and unassailable position; then no one will suffer any losses. The way of a warrior, the art of politics, is to stop trouble before it starts. It consists in defeating your enemies spiritually by making them realize the folly of their actions. The way of a warrior is to establish harmony"
-O Sensei, translation John Stevens.

I read this quote today in a book ("The art of peace") for the first time. I don't want to come across as smug or critical. I don't want to query the validity of your analogy either, but I do question whether it describes Aikido. anyhow....
andrew