View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #16
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Spiritual Discipline Driils-Ki (ip?)

Quote:
Eric DesMarais wrote: View Post
I am happy to discuss this line of thinking further, but to make sure we are talking about the same things, could you explain your position on what spirit, mind, and body are? It will become very messy if we don't have a similar vocabulary to start from.
Hi Eric. I'll explain my position as simply as I can as of course it is a vast subject in all.
Firstly, we have a body. A body has many parts and we are all pretty much aware of this.
Then we have a mind. A mind is basically a storage depot, a database, it's where we store things including memories. We can store all manner of things in the mind including feelings, good and bad ones, etc. As with the body, many parts.
I thus differenciate between the mind and body also thusly: whereas the mind is the database, the brain is the telephone exchange.
Then we come to our true self, spirit, who is responsible for the other two as well as self. As spirit we learn about ourselves and capabilities. Spirit is pure, hence without negatives, thus we have a lot to learn.
For true self or spirit it is natural to be harmonious, to learn, to love, to act with virtue and honour etc. etc.
This is my basic position from which I learn.
Thanks for asking.
Regards.G.