Thread: Tameshigiri
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
DH
United_States
Re: Tameshigiri

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
I don't think any rational person took that as a comment about the guy swinging the spear. The point was.... tameshigiri doesn't take a Japanese sword and a massive attention to angles.

Mike Sigman
I appreciate ...yet again the implied insult.
Okay then as a non-rational person:
How is this "bowing and scraping to some guy wearing black culottes taking a year of my time to teach me the Sacred Way™..
relevant to this point
"tameshigiri doesn't take a Japanese sword and a massive attention to angles."
It isn't. the former is invective inserted as another casual slur on the arts instead of making the later observation.

When people actually study real weapons under someone -more likely wearing blue or white culottes - they learn and understand a few things. Not the least of which is why angles are far more important than a single cut on a target, applied body mechanics, and why you would NEVER expend that much energy to a cut and what you did wrong and so on. Hell, oddly enough most of the time-in the long run- they even wind up respecting the arts and the effort of teachers in them.
Something which we also provide to doubters here at my dojo...while wearing armor and going at it freestyle,.is another version of clinical discussion. When they're covered in welts and black and blue they pretty much figure out there are things they made fun of that they still don't...really....understand.
In the fullness of time I have found that most martial artists I've worked with find it interesting to be able to learn something that actually has depth.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 02-06-2011 at 12:16 PM.