View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
lbb
United_States
Re: tracking your training hours

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
Mary,

If you have a sign in sheet and someone is making a real effort to track time, they are taking that sign in sheet and entering it somehwere else. Either a self-made spreadsheet or something along those lines. Well, they could just be keeping a book of individual sheets that they will, at some time, go through to calculate total hours, but that is just insane. So if someone is having to take the sign in sheet and enter it again into something, why not make that something a website that is:

1. accessible by both teachers and students, so students can check their own hours, review a previous class lesson (what was it we worked on the other night), etc.
Because it isn't. Not everyone in our dojo uses the web or wants to -- and this isn't about to change, since we are located in a rural area where many people are limited to dialup access.

Quote:
2. calculates hours for you
That's simple enough for any spreadsheet once you've gone to the work of entering the data, and if students aren't entering it themselves, you still have to do this.

Quote:
3. allows you to present other information to dojo members (organizational forms, testing requirements, handbook, whatever).
Website and hardcopy do this for us -- website for them as are wired, hardcopy for them as aren't.

Quote:
4. calendar of dojo events
Website and bulletin board in dojo.

Quote:
5. contact a teacher, make a class request, etc
The way to contact our teachers and make any request is to come to class.

Quote:
6. sign up for special classes so that a teacher knows who plans to attend
I don't think our teachers really care about that. They'll teach to one, they'll teach to fifty.

Quote:
information technology has fairly well proven that it's better than paper for most anything that you want to keep track of.
I don't agree with this as a blanket statement (and btw, I've worked in technology for my whole career). Automating a simple task is not necessarily a gain. If a dojo had no existing systems to do the tasks you describe above, and/or they had so many students and so many things going on that doing all that manually was practically impossible, and the students had access to automation and would use it, then there's an advantage. But checking off attendance, no, I don't think a web app is the best way to do this. In our dojo, the attendance book is by the door. People check their names off as they're entering or leaving, whatever their habit is. If they had to wait until they got home to then go online and access a website and enter it, a lot of hours would go unrecorded.