View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Reasonable weight for suburito?

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Yup. And I can't count the number of times I've had someone show me something to "improve" a sword cut's power (huh?) that really only showed they'd never really cut anything of substance with a real sword. Like everything else there are a lot of details...
Long ago I gave up practicing things like tonfa, sai, swords, etc., because I decided that it was pointless from a self-defense point to practice weapons that I never carried (I did do western fencing for a number of years, tho). So I can't honestly say that I've ever done a lot of cuts with a live blade (some, but not enough to count). On the other hand, I do a fair amount of suburi practice because it is convenient and simple to do when I'm watching TV, etc. And I also grew up using an axe for felling timber, firewood cutting, brush clearing, etc. I generally have a good feel for my target and maximizing the amount of force and the momentum of my body in the cut of, say, an axe. How would you generally describe a sword cut as being different, if it is, Keith?

Mike