View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States
Re: Are you partial to a bit of Martial

Me again, my husband is out back getting firewood, so I will try this on my own. I have questions related to the sword work examples, so I hope Matthew, Mary, and Jon will come back and maybe give some examples of their own study or teaching about cutting through or more on what martial means. I'm Interested, sorry I went into the back and forth about columns and blogs if I detracted from the original message.

Here's my question. In your practice, what is an example of cutting through. Do you teach or practice where uke cuts down and nage moves, say, to one side but still close enough that uke cannot follow and cut again etc. This is how I usually was training, where uke and nage, or whatever the two people are called in kumitachi, work on their timing so uke cuts thru but nage does not get hit.

I'm going ahead and post this even though I'm not too clear in the hopes that others will join in, or join back in and continue this interesting topic about the word martial, and about cutting through rather than at.