View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #135
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Ikeda Sensei Demos of Ki

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
I am cautious about discussing issues with people who have nothing to add, have no direct experience with the individual/subject, but know you are wrong in your direct experience and personal conceptualization.

Sometimes the caution is not about what is being discussed but who you are discussing it with.
I've seen that approach a number of times in the more 'spiritual' arts, like Aikido and some sects of Tai Chee. In one Aikido dojo, run by a famous Japanese shihan, I was told that there were 2 Republicans among the Aikido students and none of the other students would talk to them. I'm sure the shihan wasn't told about this, though; if I told you who the shihan was it would rock your boat.

The disappointing thing about your commentary, to me, Lynn, is that it once again discusses personality issues and not facts. I've been watching these discussions purely to see if someone comes up with some facts that a newby can use. So far, nothing I've seen can be used, but there's been a lot of discussion about who conforms enough to meet approval of a select few. When challenged for actual facts, there is wide and vague assurance about who knows anything, but no facts to support it. Me, I take someone's word, but I ask for facts.

Ikeda Sensei is not, as far as I'm aware, making sure that only the right kind of believers and conformers come to his workshops. Not that he's oblivious to practicality... one of his long-term students indicated to me that Ikeda Sensei is pretty much aware that a number of 'seniors' are not ever going to change to using ki/kokyu skills and so he doesn't focus much on them. But he doesn't cut them out of discussion, as far as I've heard.

I wonder at what level is an Aikidoist's demonstrations above discussion and dissection? Is it the yudansha ranks and above or could we include some mudansha as being undiscussable, particularly by outsiders? We should be careful where we start the segregation.

I would personally assume, unless told otherwise, that Ikeda's putting on public demonstrations indicates that he's aware of and doesn't mind that people try to discuss *how* things are done.

FWIW

Mike Sigman