View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #90
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo
United_States
Re: Aikido training - Why are you searching for internal strength?

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Six schools that I am aware of do exactly that; they have separate days for training this. And they also incorporate training it in regular class. I think it is too soon to tell who is going to follow through,and who might excel etc. Some -with self serving, competitive motivations- are critiquing and commenting on their progress. I think that is counterproductive to the debate at such an early stage.
Makes sense and I think will just have to be something that's worked out over time. At least they are doing it. I know when I took a stab at it, there was a single day dedicated to just the exercises, with efforts on the "waza" days to incorporate it back in. But then things I was doing then versus things I'm doing now, I'd do differently of course - hindsight 20/20 and all. Oh well, gotta start somewhere.

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
There is a lot being talked about in separating this work from external movement and technique which is fine...yet make no mistake, every source in the martial arts outlines the necessity for tackling that difficult step of getting it into external movement. In fact the use of it ...in...movement is yet another milestone...still outside of waza. While that in and of itself is martially effective (something BTW, which has never been covered here either) it is that work that many find intriguing and revealing while they are slowly progressing. Itis difficult and you can default back to bad habits...it's a mindfield.
All the best
Dan
Which is partly the rub, right? Where's the sweet spot in doing the foundational work before tackling the integration back into external movement. As you say, the traditional arts all do (or should) address this in some way. The use of it in movement . . I keep refining what that means as I figure more things out . . then try it out with the guys at the gym (some experiments are more painful than others, but the harder learned lessons tend to stick).

I think aikido is trickier . . because the "in movement" portion - unless the teacher is already aware of all the facets being worked on - can easily derail the good efforts being made because of their "interpretation" (stylistic, aesthetic, practical, etc.) based on a limited-information understanding. Just like I keep questioning things that "work" as well as the things that "don't". It is a minefield (and mindfield, even) and I don't have answers, just shared frustrations and the equivalent of sore-feet from the path being trodden.

So I am very curious about others' "how's it working, how's it going?" explorations (assuming past the initial question in thread of "why?" - that being answered and now they've moved onto "how?"). I don't think there's shame in admitting when you're a rank beginner in something - versus have taken some baby steps on the path (example, I am gonna try fencing, I did Japanese weapons, which may help or hurt, but I'm a no-nothing noob, no two ways about it, I can't just assume that they will apply). What's going to be more important over time I think is the progress you make over time based on the efforts you put into it.