View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #53
Josh Reyer

Japan
Re: bad technique vs. resistance

When I trained Iwama Aikido, I met guys, generally relative newbies, who would just bear down with all sorts of muscle. They were extremely stiff and tense, and I definitely got that feeling of someone jamming a technique they knew was coming. Heck, I certainly bore down with more muscle than I should have.

I also trained with a girl who had absolutely fantastic aikido. Her grip as uke was strong -- though I was physically stronger than her, I could not muscle my way through the technique. At all, full stop. When I was uke, I had the same kind of feeling as when I worked with Rob John; she seemed to move me without the slightest bit of strain, right through where I thought my power was, as if she was stronger than me. And she wasn't even very old or highly ranked. She was in her twenties, and I think she was a nidan. If timing, location, and the politics had worked out, I'd probably still be training at her dojo.

So, while the Iwama style of a strong grip that gives nothing away can be done the wrong way, just as the relaxed, non-resisting style can lead to collusion and unrealism, if done the right way it can lead to some pretty nice skills. At least in my personal anecdotal experience.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer