View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 06:20 AM   #63
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: My Rope Theory

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
Let me see if I can clarify what I said earlier...

My main point is that I become personally concerned whenever I hear dialogue that centers around removing differing opinion. Graham's initial post contains an advocation to remove argument and fighting from aikido; arguments that I assume include training curriculum, use of weapons, stylistic alterations, and fighting effectiveness, to name a few. While I may not agree with those who oppose my perspectives, I do not believe I have a right [ever] to remove that opposing perspective. Opposing parties may argue and debate issues in a positive and constructive manner; I do not think it fair to cite the poor presentation of an argument or the poor ethics employed during debate as a cause to remove the dialogue. As such, I also do not tend to support the "can't we all just get along" stuff either. As Graham cites, people tend to consolidate around those who share similar values, beliefs and opinions. Those who don't like what they read or see in one setting have the opportunity to change that setting to one more desirable. This is both an expression of freedom and an expression of prejudice.

Secondly, I do not believe "more is better" in aikido. I do not believe the art's integrity will perservere with more people practicing at a lower quality. Contigent upon my first point, the role of frictional debate and argument is to identify and purge those practices and practicioners ill-suited to the preservation of aikido. The pressure of accountibility, education, and evaluation helps to control the presence of poor aikido. Without pressure to maintain quality withing the art, eventually the art will become ineffective; some would argue that is currently happening. Ledyard sensei just posted a great thread that touches upon the issue of balancing the essence of aikido with the expansion of student body.

Ultimately, I believe my training is my own and not subjective to a larger group; it is mine to pursue with the vigor and energy that I put into it and under the authority of the instructor under whom I wish to train. I am not training to make the rope bigger or smaller or stronger ro weaker, I am training to make myself better and preserve the intergity of the aikido I learned from my instructor. In this sense I think it less important to worry about what everyone else is doing and more about what I am doing. There is no rope if after 15 years I still cannot do aikido; it is no consolation to me that if after 15 years of aikido there are others who cannot do aikido either. I see no reason to tie my aikido to yours...
Great Post !

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post

But this guy really hurt my friend. I was conscious a bit afterward that I felt that everyone in the room was on some level my Aikido family. And I have to say I go a bit cave man when we are talking about family and friends. Me, I walk away, but something else goes on when it's my friends and family. And the feeling was so great at the Bridge Seminar. Every single person I trained with was so great. Leaving this idiot standing amongst them seemed wrong. Anyway, it is what it is now, but next time I don't think I''ll make the same choice. But thanks for the input...
Wow, that story of yours made me feel like
And I am just a Sempai of others, not their teacher...

We rarely have seminars with others, but as a Sempai, had I seen anyone starting such a thing with one of our beginners, I would have interveaned, preferbly in the "friendly" manner of joining the practice.

Amir