View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 04:13 AM   #51
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: bad technique vs. resistance

I find much of the discussion in this thread indicative of the general ignorance with which most aikidoists approach their practice.

First, if you don't understand that ukemi truly is 50% of your practice, and that the attacks as presented are "smart" and potentially "deadly," than you really will have a difficult time reconciling the practice.

Second, if you can't find a way to train the specific skills of aikido in an integrated and honest fashion, your only option left will be to expect too much out of your static, ki no nagare, and jiyu waza practices. None of those represent a high level of aikido practice.

Weapons, multiple opponents, and surprise. I've said it before; I'll say it again… It's staring us straight in the face.

On a different note:

George,

For some time now your posts have appeared somewhat disjointed, like a person with A LOT of information, but who hasn't quite put it together yet.

I think Mike Sigman was correct; you have more than enough information. I think a big breakthrough is coming.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki