View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #21
Keith Burnikell
United_States
Re: aikido politics - implications on training opportunities

Let's see if I understand this correctly. You're moving to a place that does not have an affiliated dojo....correct?

Do you mean to tell me that you belong to an organization that would rather you not train at all than train with another association, given no other choice????

I agree with asking your Shihan.
I'd be shocked if his answer left you without an option to train at all.
I imagine him to be wise, and therefore, reasonable.

If staying in their good graces is that important to you, then take a sabbatical and delve into another martial art, until you can go back to an 'approved' dojo.
Do Iaido or Kenjutsu....related but no conflict. Find a BJJ school. Learn an external martial art so you truly understand atemi. There are ways to do this if you have to.

If you absolutely must practice Aikido, be prepared for some backlash.

I can feel the OPs frustration. You just want to do Aikido. ME TOO! There are a ton of us out there who know exactly how you feel. The number who wants the miserable aspects of politics out of Aikido grows steadily.

If Samurai = one who serves
and "The greatest among you is your servant".
then I contend that this very quality in an Aikido instructor 'magically' draws from his students an unwaivering loyalty that is oft demanded by lesser men.

There is great value in asking for commitment; almost none in compulsion. Make sure that you've discerned what your parent organization has truly asked from you. There may be a miscommunication.