View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #41
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: Golden Center Aikido for your pleasure

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
hey Tony:
I just looked at your video again...it doesn't really look too different that what other people are doing except for the times when it seems like you are working to hard and need to relax more. Why all this noise about how different you are? (not being snarky really am interested)
Mary
It's very simple Mary, you can only do these tricks from learning good hard solid practice. Understanding body mechanics and doing what everyone seems to find so fascinating. I show these tricks to my students who can do them straight away, It's no big deal.....
What most don't seem to realise is it will not work in a real hostile situation..... believe it I know......
You can only know that if you have been in one.... or many in my case
Dojo practice is not fraught with any real danger, but when you are out on the tatami to compete against somebody who isn't going to fall down at the slightest move it is a little more risky......
When in a hostile situation, ya don't have time to mess about and relax for after noon tea.......It is folly trying to do simple tricks when in that environment, try it sometime when somebody is really resisting you and has every intention of taking your block off.....
Everyone forgets that Proff Ueshiba, although small in height was powerfully built, so knew these tricks easily from his solid training....
It's a bit like saying you will get fit from doing martial arts if you train hard.... well its true of any physical discipline.......
I can also do the trick of taking a full blows to the stomach, but that's nothing clever as all boxers have that ability by doing loads of sit ups to toughen the stomach muscles and having a medicine ball bounced on it, also knowing when to apply isometric contraction at the time someone hits it..... nothing mysterious about that.....
Here in lies the secret..... relax contract, relax contract , easy peasy....