View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #25
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: bad technique vs. resistance

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
This is so important... so much of our training is about trying to pound a round peg into a square hole. It's crazy and doesn't ever result in a decent level of skill. Training should be about, first developing the sensitivity to tell whether the hole is round or square and responding appropriately and then later, understanding how to get the partner to create the shape you want him to be in, preferably without him being aware that you did so.
I agree with all that has been said in your answer (no idea why you chose to comment on my statements).

I would point out, however, that while the idea you stated in the section I quated is 100% correct. The actual order of learning apears to always be: technique first, opportunity identification much later.
Thus, using your analogy, most of the time, it is the role of the sensei to verfy the shape of the hole and peg matches, and only at rather later stages, the students starts to grasp this issue.

All the ideas I mentioned in my previous post, do come much later on, after the student identifies the shape early on, and then finds the angle of the peg which can match.

Amir