View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #31
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Re: What Is Your Responsibility in Training?

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
So I would turn the question round and ask from the instructor's point of view: For a given seminar, what are your primary motivations for attending ( = teaching at the seminar)? Why do teachers can keep giving seminars when the people attending do not try to practice what the teacher is showing?
I believe it was the Buddha who after gaining enlightenment did not teach. He believed that if you already have it there was nothing he could say and if you didn't have it there was nothing he could say. His cousin asked about those few people in between. He taught for over 40 years.

I appreciate those teachers who have the courage to share what they know even if very few are trying to get it and fewer yet will actually get it. And when you get a small piece of it, they show you there is still more to learn.

IMHO, because teaching and learning are two different ends of the same process that a teacher is responsible to teach and the student is responsible to learn.

When I am tori I am responsible to learn from that position and try to do what the teacher is showing/sharing. When I am uke I am responsible to learn from that position.

I am response-able.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!