View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #24
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Ikeda Sensei Demos of Ki

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
Garth,
Sure... to be Shihan level, it takes every day practice for years. But to understand what is going on and do it in the controlled environment of practice, it should not take so long. The teaching methodology just hasn't been there.
Somehow I just deleted a reply to this post, George, so if I seem a bit terse, it's not because of you.

The problem with Aikido is that the internal skills of ki/kokyu happen to be an intrinsic part of the art. So, as Ushiro Sensei was fond of saying, no kokyu no Aikido. However, having kokyu skills is not Aikido. Someone like Ikeda Sensei has both some degree of kokyu skills and a good deal of Aikido skills, but I'd argue that basic kokyu skills can be had in a reasonable amount of time, not many years away.
Quote:
I understand most of what Ikeda Sense is doing.
In that case, you should be the one doing the explaining, George. Not me.
Quote:
If you train with someone like Mike S or Dan H, just as an example, the level of detail in the explanation is so far and away more complete compared to what we routinely have gotten in Aikido that one starts to wonder how anyone actually got any good at all training the way we have.
Well, I think a lot of the ki-related skills are just getting going and it's a fluid state. The only real worry I have is that a lot of people are going to be teaching "The Real Internal Strength" (tm) in the next few years. While it will be interesting for me as an outsider to watch, I'd urge everyone to be cautious because these skills are a lot more complex than most people realize at the moment and if you screw up you can not only get your cover blown pretty quickly, you can also do something much worse... lead a number of trusting students down the wrong road. So, I urge people to be careful, ask questions, and think hard.
Quote:
But what these teachers are doing is not magic and it can be taught and explained to pretty much anyone.
True, but Ikeda Sensei is only one of a number of teachers who will attempt to teach internal strength skills in the future and each teacher will have his own level of understanding and his own approach to teaching. At whatever level he's attempted to teach these things, Ikeda Sensei hasn't been fully successful in teaching what he knows so that should be a signal while these things *can* be taught, it can be difficult to do.

FWIW

Mike Sigman