View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 03:58 AM   #57
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Non-aggressive way to test ability and level of understanding.

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
As a Cumbrian with some farming background, I am familiar with the strength of drystone wallers. Where I am in my aikido, I think the ability to move such people is not always easy, especially when they are experienced, but I have found that my results have improved through practice of the basics. I'm not saying you can't do it easily but if that is so then I think you need to recalibrate to add a few lower levels for the basic skills some of us are struggling to learn. The OP was referring to this ability as a basic test that should not be rushed past:
Hi Carl

I fully concur with the OP and the focus on not rushing past the basics. I have spent nearly half of all my time in aikido practice engaged in the ki development exercises that came from Tohei Sensei. Essentially they are pretty static tests designed to get the student to co-ordinate mind and body and prepare to achieve the mind/body state that is essential to perform aikido well. Central to this is that the mind leads the body, if you move your partners mind, their body will inevitably follow. So many exercises are based around understanding just how this effect is manifested.

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
Like yourself Mark, I also have no problem with you taking a different route to achieve the same ends and I am interested in your approach, especially if you are as successful as you claim. Could you perhaps link to a video of the kind of thing you do?
I don't have any video of myself (yet) but the best I can do is link you to Tohei's fundamental concept series
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbgRG...eature=related
around 1.00 you'll see his tenkan movement.

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that too. It makes a lot more sense. I am intrigued by your method of reaching this point.
Practice and more practice, a teacher that can do it and teach it, oh, and a weekend with Mike Sigman, that helped me get a more practical and logical take on some of the concepts that my mind had been chewing on.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.