View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #283
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States
Re: Got pwned by boxer =-(

Quote:
Anthony Loeppert wrote: View Post
Stumbled on this thread and though I'd echo (one more piece of anecdotal evidence) as a Yoshinkan student, I've been told a couple of times the same thing, trying to specifically catch the business end of strike is not wise.
That depends on what you mean by "catch." In Jun Fan I learned a "catch and release" boxing drill, where both partners have the same lead (ai hanmi) just outside uke's reach and nage (for lack of a better term) "catches" the jab with his rear hand. It's not so much a catch as a paw. One response is to jab at the same time as you catch, and in this version has a focus mitt on the other hand. Nage can also "catch" and then follow the hand back to home with his own cross.

The catch also appears pretty much the same way in the Filipino boxing portion of LaCoste Inosanto Kali. The rationale is that the jabber is trying to probe nage's defenses, provoke a reaction and formulate a strategy based on that. Of course, catching is also a response that can be analyzed, but it's more low key than a dramatic lead hand block.

The point is a "catch" or something like that is perfectly possible.

As for applying Aikido locks against the full range -- jabs, crosses, hooks, and uppercuts -- I think that is possible. I've had a couple of things pop out in sparring, mostly off a jab cross, so that tells me the distance is right. Remember, all this repition of all these locks makes our bodies and brains familar with those positions and we can go for the instant we feel something useful. How easy it is to pull of it another matter. But not impossible.

"I am not a big fat panda. I am the big fat panda." --Po, Kung Fu Panda