Old 12-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #16
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Spear Training for Internal Power

Quote:
Tim Fong wrote: View Post
Spear Training:
The purpose of this post is to explain how I've currently interpreted* the Aunkai spear training as a solo conditioning tool, and as a means of understanding how to use the lower body to off balance an opponent and increase the power of strikes. You will check your understanding via a chest push in the spear stance, and then ultimately with feet parallel.
Tim,

Not only highly informative, but nicely organized, written and presented, too. Having gone through this stuff with Ark, your post sheds a lot of light for me. Very nice explanations.

Quote:

Correction:
Previously, Rob John and I published a an article and web posts discussing the shintaijiku exercise.
You can see video of Akuzawa practicing the exercise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrzLp0o0oGk
We discussed splitting the body up into three axes: center, left and right. What we did not discuss (because we didn't clearly understand at that point) was that the psoas served to connect each axis of the body to the spine.
Very good point. My first response is that the psoas connects the outer axes to the spine at the bottom of the axes--and the shoulders connect the axes at the top: but you account for that later. Very encouraging.

Quote:
Static Spear Thrust.
Now that you have identified your psoas, it's time to use it in the spear thrust. You can use a typical 6 foot hardwood staff as your training implement. When you take the spear and sit down into the back leg to prepare the thrust, you should feel the psoas stretch in the front leg. Specifically, you should feel the psoas connecting the spine and the femur. The deeper you sit and the more you twist to be sidways, the more you should feel this.
Oh.

Quote:
Now, you will extend the spear forward. Push off the ground with the back leg, and allow your body to be twisted to face forward. Your pelvis will tilt forward-- this is functionally the same position that is held in the Aunkai stillness training. As you extend your arms in the spear thrust, and pivot to face the front, you will want to feel the psoas tighten on the back leg. Once you have fully extended the spear, you should feel the weigh of the spear actually stressing the psoas on the back leg, specifically toward the top of the femur. You will want to feel the back leg connect to the front hand, and the front leg connect to the back hand. You will want to lift the head and feel the tail bone pulling downwards, even at the full extended position. There is some other stuff going on with the cross (upper chest/shoulder girdle) as well but I'm going to leave that out for now. If you've been doing a lot of jujiko then you can play with that awareness during the thrust as well.
Rob wrote on my shoulder-relaxing thread that concentrating on the inner connections is more important. And this thread gives me something I can work that with. This is very useful detail and it brings back sharp memories of Ark doing these things, giving me a feeling that I'm seeing into the internal movement for the first time. You could do 100,000 of these spear thrusts and get a lot out of it.

Quote:
Have your partner resist you on the spear as you try to thrust it forward. At first just go force on force for a few reps and try to focus on pushing the back leg hard against the ground, and going force on force.

Then, have your partner give you a steady push on the spear. Try to manipulate the spear from left to right. As you do this, you will alternate which foot bears the incoming force, and , most importantly, towards which psoas you will rotate your pelvis, relative to your spine.
Great.

Quote:
If you perform this movement correctly, then you will slightly off balance your partner.....Getting the force out to the hands requires a fairly strong cross and this conditioning is accomplished via the standard Aunkai basics.
Great.

Quote:
You can also use this mechanic to drive a low roundhouse, cross, jab etc. That also requires articulating the shoulder girdle, which I have not covered in this post.
Yes, but when I read this, I picture Ark doing a low roundhouse and it makes perfect sense.

Quote:
The spearing mechanic incorporates what some people call dantian rotation. In that notation, the dantian is the concept of a giant ball in the lower abdomen. In that notation, the forward and backward tilt of the pelvis is conceding rotating the dantian back and forth. The rotation around the spine is considered horizontal rotation. However, as you can see from the instant post, you can train these things very directly via an anatomical perspective.
I'll bet it's a doozy for raking leaves, too! (I'll be doing a lot of that this weekend).

But I'm going out into the dark and cold right now to thrust a bo for a while.

Quote:
*If you want to know how Akuzawa does it exactly, I recommend you attend one of his overseas seminars or classes in Tokyo.
Can't agree more. Except seeing Ark, you can see how he does things, but posts like yours and Rob's are needed to understand how he does them.

Thanks.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com