View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #183
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

I had been avoiding this thread. I just read every post and now I think I'm the one who needs some marijuana.

Quote:
George Ledyard wrote:
You show up high on the mat and you are sent home.
Quote:
Keith Larman wrote:
If you come on the mat impaired, well, I'm with George -- you should find the door asap. I don't care why you're impaired or what you're impaired from -- I don't want you hurt nor do I want you doing anything to or with anyone else. If you're not 100% there do everyone a favor and stay home.
Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Under the influence of anything-drugs, alcohol, mushrooms, etc. is not only disrespectful to the art and dojo but dangerous to your fellow classmates and yourself.
Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote:
Training in any athletic endeavor when you are impaired/under the influence of any mind-altering substance is potentially dangerous not only to the person, but to anybody who trains with that person.

I can not think of any cogent reason why any dojo should allow a person to train in an altered state.

bottom line:

Train safe means NO MIND-ALTERING substances before training.
First, I want to say that a person who owns and operates a dojo should be able to exclude anyone from training for any reason, and obviously, any individual should be able to refuse to train with any other student for any reason.

But seeing the strength of many of the responses brought up some questions, namely what are the logical limits?

What about anti-depressants?
Adderall, beta-blockers, hormones?
Tobacco, caffeine?

Some people are naturally violent and sadistic. Some are mentally ill or developmentally delayed. Some are extremely emotional. What about them?

Some are merely absent minded or uncoordinated, which in my experience has been the most dangerous type of person on the mat -- for themselves, their direct partner(s), and others training around them.

Is this about barring people who use particular substances? Is it about barring people who exhibit particular behaviors? Or is it about maintain the safest possible environment in the dojo?

(By the way, I realize this is a departure from the original topic, but I think that happened almost immediately. And it's an old thread, so what the heck?)

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki