Old 12-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #85
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Ki is Kindness.

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Thank you, Prof. Goldsbury! I was really hoping you would comment on my questions. Does the above mean to imply that your studies of Aikido might differ somewhat from your linguistic studies?

Thank you for your time, Sensei!
Take care,
Matthew
Hello Matthew,

Thank you for your response.

I have just got up and looked at this thread. I am surprised to see that it has grown by two pages. I do not have time now for an extended response to your questions, but I will give a response later.

In answer to your question that I quoted, my studies of Japanese and my aikido training have always been different, even though my training has always been in Japanese, since I have always had Japanese teachers. Of course, in the UK and the US, they spoke English, but the vast bulk of my training has been here, in Japan, and I use English in aikido only when I am explaining something to a visitor who does not speak Japanese.

However, all the time I have been here, I have been part of a large Japanese academic community, completely unconnected to aikido, in which the medium of general communication has largely been Japanese. This has been a kind of total immersion, but a different kind of immersion to the experience of someone who lives as an uchi-deshi.

Thus, in this thread, which is concerned with the meaning of a Japanese term, I prefer to speak on the basis of my knowledge of the Japanese language. In any case, when I need to give explanations in aikido, I rarely use the term KI and if you glance at the quoted thread, my opinion is similar to that of Robert John (Upyu).

Best wishes,

PAG

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 12-13-2010 at 04:11 PM.

P A Goldsbury