View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 02:26 AM   #4
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England
Re: Tadashi Abe

Quote:
Jamie Yugawa wrote: View Post
That is amazing!! I was told a similar story about Akira Tohei Sensei being trained as a kamakazi pilot and the war ended before he could fly his mission. Ellis Sensei do you have any good stories about your experiences with Abe Sensei? Perhaps anything he emphasized more in training or philosophy? Thank you.
Tadashi Abe Sensei did not expound very much philosphy, as with all the early teachers that I met he was only interested in hard training...One philosphy I do recall from Abe Sensei " opponent with fists is no challenge, opponent with knife is a true challenge ". I know for a fact that he always carried a knife so that when challenged he would offer the knife to his opponent.....In his last years he became very dissapointed with the direction of Aikido at Hombu, he went to the AikiKai Hombu, after watching for a while he stood up and looked around before apologizing to all the ladies present before stating out loud " This is not Aikido anymore, this Aikido is only for ladies " ..........With that he threw his Hombu diploma's on the mat and walked out, never to return.
There are some photos of Tadashi Abe Sensei on my ``5 photo galleries `` on www.british-aikido.com

Henry Ellis
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/