View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 04:38 AM   #101
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Grappling In Aikido

Quote:
Randall Lim wrote: View Post
However, I do remember reading from somewhere that Judo's founder Dr. Jigoro Kano once mentioned after watching an Aikido demonstration by O'Sensei that THAT was indeed true Budo.

Maybe Kano had been searching for the secret to easily achieve "Ju" in his Judo, but could not until he saw Aikido. Kano in fact invited O'Sensei to join his Kodokan, be did not because O'Sensei had already established his own school.

What do you think of this??
I think accuracy is underrated in today's world.

In October of 1930, Professor Kano paid a special visit to the founder at the temporary Mejiro Dojo. I have heard it said that he even commented, "This is what I call the ideal budo; that is to say, the true and genuine judo." After Professor Kano returned to his Kodokan he told one of his close associates:

To tell the truth I would like to have Ueshiba here at the Kodokan, but since he is a master in his own right, that is quite impossible. As a second choice I would like to send some of our own talent to train with Ueshiba and try to promote an exchange between the two systems.

A few days later he sent Minoru Mochizuki and Jiro Takeda to study under the founder. I have in my possession Professor Kano's very polite letter on the matter

Source: Kisshomaru Ueshiba, Aiki News #59