View Single Post
Old 08-23-2002, 12:30 AM   #23
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Quote:
Edward Karaa (Edward) wrote:
Well, just because you picked 2 successful cases doesn't mean that this practice is alright. I am sure there are other similar cases with happy endings, but more often than not, it ends up badly, and some teachers actually abuse their positions.
Of course there are unhappy endings, as there are in every type of relationship. Abuse would always be wrong, but abuse is not uncommon in normal male-female relationships either, and those don't seem (I assume) to be taboo to you...
Quote:
Edward Karaa (Edward) wrote:
Anyhow, it is not acceptable in any culture that I know of, whether eastern or western, for teachers to date their students, and this applies to aikido.
Well it depends on the setting, really. I'd say that it's pretty common, for example, for aerobics instructors to date students, and that for the majority of people this kind of behavior would not be unacceptable. I think that it's important to note that we're talking about a voluntary activity. It's one thing to be dating students, for example, who are required to pass your class in order to receive a degree. It's quite another, IMO, to date a student in an entirely elective and non-essential activity. That's not to say that I would encourage it (because of the obvious complications that arise), but I don't think that it's necessarily unethical either.

Best,

Chris