View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #199
Ryan Seznee
Dojo: Does it matter?
United_States
Re: Is two Days a week enough?

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Ryan, Maggie, and whoever else wants to dive into the far spectrum of things ... why not ask Mary exactly what she meant when she posted

Because if you read it again in a neutral voice, you'll see that Mary never stated anything specific about any one person. And to pick up the question about time spent becoming a shihan ... just how many hours did these shihan spend in training? From a purely historical perspective, what amount of time did the shihan (all of them) spend in their training to reach that status? How many were married and what amount of time was spent on family life?

Now, toss in how many of the Japanese shihan had work responsibilities that took up (I'm fairly sure) most of their daily life, what proportion of time left went to training and family?

Let's take one famous Japanese, Takeda Sokaku. It's pretty much known that Sue raised Tokimune. Sokaku was rarely at home to do so. Good or bad? Go ahead, be the judge. I certainly won't.

So, why jump all over Mary when she never stated someone specific? I did state someone specific. You want to judge Takeda Sokaku?

How about taking a step back, rereading things without jumping to conclusions? Why not let Mary say the specifics of what she wants to say? You might be surprised at what she really meant. Or maybe not. But you'll never know by taking the route you did take.

Mark
READ THE WHOLE THREAD.

The only thing that bothers me about this whole thread is that people are passing blame onto their busy lives or their familes as a reason why they only train an hour or two a week. I am offended that anyone would present their family as a burden rather than admit that they just would rather do other things than train. A little further down the conversation switches to drive time as the reason they don't train more. When it is mentioned that there are people at Maggie's dojo that drive further than that with children and wives, it is an issue of a personal attack. This seems like a conversation out of an Anne Ryne novel how it is always anyone's fault but mine. I choose to train versus doing other things, just like everyone else.

Maggie, I and every one else on this side of the issue has said that it is OK to be a hobbyist, just be honest with yourself. I myself consider myself a hobbyist with 6 to 12 hours at the dojo a week. I understand that there are some (whom I have met before) who train 6-10 hours a day and I consider them to be serious.