View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 05:20 AM   #6
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands
Re: O-Sensei and the Purpose of Aikido

Good read. Many thanks for sharing.
Many teachers tell you to train with the right mindset, but hardly
ever explain what that mindset should be. Too often it is interpreted as the fighter mindset, to defeat the other (i.e. competition, duality). Which I think brings you to the afore mentioned 'dark side' of Aikido. People tend to keep doing what they do. It is hard to change, takes real effort. It is easy to stay in the technical department of Aikido. It is safe, comprehensible and with enough training I will get better, right? ...
But still, not everybody in Aikido started out with all this in mind. How could they? It takes years of (proper) practise to get a glimpse of what Aikido is really about.
Aikido teaches you to observe, judge and act. In the broadest sense. However, you must be honest and just to yourself and others to make it work.

Allthough I agree all this is internal knowledge you'll build up when training, it is good that every now and then an experienced Aikidoka dares to put it to writing and share.
My teacher elaborates on these aspects during class, as do I. If never told, how can one expect your students to pick up on it....

again good read, thanx.

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl