View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 03:30 AM   #22
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Re: Is two Days a week enough?

sigh... I don't know how many times we have to beat this old - and very seriously dead - horse.

We all have different needs, desires, situations and abilities and in my opinion there's no answer to the question.

I have created a dojo in my area, but I have to take care of my family and my job as well, so I can only afford (time and money) to teach once a week. To all of you who claim that is not enough.. well.. I am happy - my technique is getting better than it was when I wasen't practicing, and my so far few but dedicated students are happy as well... so once a week is by far better than no aikido... twice a week is bette than once obiously, but I don't spend a lot of time agonizing over this.I just enjoy whatever practice I can fit into my life.

Now if I wanted to become an interantionally acclaimed master, I should probably take it up a serious number of notches, but that's not in the cards for me.

I don't give a hoot how much a person practices or if they come every freakin' session... if a student has a sick child and feel they should stay home.. then they need to do that. Sacrificing your loved ones and not being true to your values is not within my take on the concept of Aikido.

I DO know that if you are present and serious during your time in the dojo, then even a small amount of practice will help you evolve. If you just spend a vast number of hours in the dojo, but have your head somewhere else, then it's a vaste of time.

In my world it makes sense to drop all the criterias in number of classes, months spend on each kyu/dan level etc etc. I believe the best teacher is the one who achieves a balance, and who is able to recognise progress without consulting his timesheets, curriculums and calculations. I am not even half there, but I strive for that rather than spend to much time building and maintining systems for controlling something.

We need some sort of structure, and I implement what the national organization suggests, but apart from that we just practice and take care of our selves and each other.

so... in conclusion... the answer varies... is two days enough... well it depends on the goal. Is it enough to become the next doshu of hombu dojo.. probably not... but is it enough to make you happy about what you do.. well then...yes..

Explore your life and your needs - then ask the right question.

- Jørgen Jakob

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration