View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #58
lbb
United_States
Re: Japanezsing

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
1. leave the dojo and go somewhere else
this is more difficult that it sounds. I have a sort of equity built up there.
What is the value of equity in something that you don't want to have?

Quote:
The adjustment to a new dojo is difficult as you have to change methods of doing things, learn things their way. It is a challenge for your body and mind to relearn something new that isn't so different then before.
Yes, it is. But it can be done. I've done it several times when a move (mine or my sensei's) force me to change not just dojos but styles -- this after years of training. The thing is, you have to be willing to completely surrender all of that "equity" -- even if (and maybe especially if) you are starting over again at a different dojo of the same style. You may not have to give up everything you know, but you have to be willing to do so, and maybe the first step is to stop thinking of it as "equity" that you have to hang on to, and start thinking of it as an investment you made and where you have to cold-bloodedly decide if you're now in a situation where continuing to "invest" means throwing good money after bad. Sometimes you have to cut your losses.

Quote:
The quality of the next dojo is a concern. What hang ups and problems do they have. There are new people to deal with and you have to fit in to say the least. Who are you going to rub the wrong way, for example.
Maybe. Their feet may smell, too, and they may all drink Pabst Blue Ribbon...but why borrow trouble?

Quote:
Changing dojo is a huge change. But not an impossible change. It will have to start from zero, and start new equity. 9 months isn't a long time but long enough for things to gel. To be in a rhythm and comfortable until this shit happened.
I don't want to disparage your efforts to date, but nine months is not really that much; in fact, I'd say it's the right time to be backing away from an "investment" gone sour, if that is the situation.