AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Japanezsing

Hello Annoyed,

A few more comments.

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
I am asking for a bit of forgiveness. The hour is late and the body is weary, as the mind. I hear what everyone is saying. To this juncture it is may humble intention to stay anonymous and use every syntactic, pompous verbiage required at hand not to remove the mask from which I speak from. This would cause allot of problems for me with others in the dojo. My advantage stems from the paucity of comprehension of my native language by those who respect the pedagogue of the dojo. And the Sensei too lacks the complete comprehension and command of the English parlance, yet peruses these virtual hallowed halls. This charade is getting to be at least a pain in the Biblical ass.
PAG. I never suggested that it was wrong to be anonymous. Jun Akiyama sometimes cautions against giving any information that would reveal the poster and the dojo. If your instructor also reads these forums, this is a very strong reason for remaining anonymous. However, the consequence is that the members of the forum have to depend solely on the evidence you yourself provide.

Quote:
Major points of advice and I whole-heartly am sorry for not addressing every. but believe me I have read each post and taken it seriously:
PAG. I am glad you did read every post. I would have thought less of you if you hadn't.

Quote:
1. leave the dojo and go somewhere else. This is more difficult that it sounds. I have a sort of equity built up there.
PAG. I am not sure what you mean here. It sounds like a serious financial investment, which you would lose if you left the dojo.

Quote:
Changing dojo is a huge change. But not an impossible change. It will have to start from zero, and start new equity. 9 months isn't a long time but long enough for things to gel. To be in a rhythm and comfortable until this shit happened.
PAG. You mention equity again. Do you mean something like a body of knowledge and experiences gained from the training practices of the dojo? If you do, I suggest that nine months is not really enough to build up anything solid.
Did the 'shit' happen quite suddenly? You were going along quite happily when, suddenly, things began to go uncomfortably Japanese? Was there any reason for this?
Anyway, if it is any consolation, I changed dojos three times in the first six years of my aikido training and I am still practising 42 years later. Changing dojos taught me a lot about aikido and also how one learns--and teaches--the art.

Quote:
I will scout other places to see where I might fit in and how much will I have to dump.
I do not think you will have to dump anything. If you continue for as long as I have, you can look back on this episode as something of value to teach your own students.
I should tell you that all my aikido teachers were Japanese (with very limited command of English) in the countries where I practised before coming to Japan. Now I am the sensei, but there is no way that I can out-Japanese my Japanese students. I have the impression from your posts that the 'Japaneszing' is a real obstacle to your progress, or to the way you feel you are progressing. Of course, this is something that you will have to deal with yourself. The members of this forum can only offer advice, based on the information you have given and on their own experiences of training.
From where I stand now and look back on my 'aikido life', such cult-like practises sometimes occur, though perhaps not to the extent that they do in your dojo.
In one dojo (and I already had dan rank when I trained there), there was a strained atmosphere, largely because the instructor had 'special' students and these students imitated everything he did short of the Japanese he spoke. So there was a gap between the 'chosen' few and the others. The instructor was trying to build up a group of instructors and he believed that the only way to do this was through very serious and dedicated training, where the students had to abandon their own egos. To achieve this aim, he sometimes went to very severe lengths.
Though I had dan rank and I knew the instructor very well, I was not one of the 'chosen' and I had no need to imitate the instructor in any way at all. I did not need to do so in order to gain his favour. I was coming to live in Japan, so in some sense I was way ahead of the 'chosen' anyway, and they sometimes resented this.

Finally, it takes courage to come on here, even anonymously, and run the gauntlet of the questions that could be asked. That said, I think all the members here are hoping that you will find a way of resolving the problem, such that you still train as hard as you have been doing and are 'enriched' as a result. Apologies if I sound condescending here. This is not my intention.

Best wishes,

PAG

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 10-13-2010 at 05:51 AM.

P A Goldsbury