View Single Post
Old 09-13-2000, 07:54 AM   #3
Magma
Do symbol

What does it really matter if the certificates mean anything? Every martial art was started by someone, so are you saying that you would rather study under a style that had stronger tie-backs to the earliest forms because of an older-is-better attitude? The certificates don't really mean anything except that you have been recognized by those who have been there before you, those you have trusted to train you.

I've never heard of any confrontation that was settled by the combatants sitting down at a table and laying out their certifications until one emerged victorious. It all comes down to your own skill. Do you feel that what you are learning is worth being ranked among the "accepted/older" martial arts? If so, then it really doesn't matter if we are learning from the United Federation of Panda's ("I'm So Pretty"), nor does it matter what ranks O'sensei received.

Slowly returns soap box to its upright position in the hopes that no one noticed. Whistles.

M.
ps, sorry if you haven't seen the snickers commercial I gratuitously reference above, it is quite funny.

Tim
It's a sad irony: In U's satori, he forgot every technique he ever knew; since then, generations of doka have spent their whole careers trying to remember.