View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #83
Janet Rosen

Re: To bow or not to bow

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
. I think the very nature of the question is how much leniency should a dojo demonstrate towards religious doctrine and the expression of religious beliefs within the dojo. A broad question like that should solicit many responses, some more conservative in application and some more liberal. The responses may not be valid, but I think the poster is trying to figure out how to balance the dojo's environment against this student's religious needs. And from there, establish a defensible position to preserve that balance.
Yep to that too.... what some of us tried to do in our original early replies.... I'll retirerate: personally I wouldn't make that big a deal about a bow , since to me - who doesn't kneel due to physical constraints - it doesn't really affect the overall training. But I would totally draw the line at a refusal to train with another student on anything other than physical safety issues. Having said that, I would also respect any dojocho's considered decision regarding the bow pro or con.

Last edited by akiy : 09-30-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield