View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Re: Mistakes with kote gaeshi footwork?

He addresses several questions well. The bulk of his comments about footwork can be summarized with this quote:

Quote:
Moving the front leg in the right direction gives you that instant force by applying your bodyweight to the task. Moving the back leg does not.
...and I agree with him.

I will say that the first time this was presented to me (years ago now), I said clearly that I wasn't taught to do it that way, and then, suprise surprise, in randori, it was pointed out quickly that I WAS doing it that way. Well, even though I was doing it, I still maintain I wasn't taught to move that foot first, but observation shows me that all too many people move the back foot first, and I guess I would add that it frequently isn't corrected because a lot of people think footwork isn't very important or else because they learned it that way (probably from someone else who didn't know better) and insist that it's correct because it's the way they were taught.

I guess I agree with this random blogger about how to fix a lot of people's kotegaeshi practice.

Best,

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."