View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #25
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: Tanto Practice - Is true Aikido effective for disarming?

I seem to recall several knife camps that demonstrate what serious users can accomplish with the proper knife and skills. I would find it hard to believe that you are taking that knife away...

I think a drawn and trained gun at 15 feet is effective for disarming a knife. I think aikido training is more effective at self-preservation than no training.

We cannot even de-bone our chicken meat any more. The simple fact is that even with "training" most of us, if ever confronted with a knife, would not be competent to defend ourselves against a knife let alone use a knife.

Also, I would put forth that we [aikido people] often think about weapons "taking" as the active removal of a weapon from our partners. I have been looking more closely at a different interpretation of weapons taking that involves your partner releasing the weapon to you. Under this interpretation, it is more plausible that a skilled weapons user may release the weapon to your possession when it no longer benefits him to continue holding it.

I have met far too many competent knife and sword people to continue to believe that weapons taking actually has anything to do with me taking something from them.