View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: Mistakes with kote gaeshi footwork?

My initial foot movement for kotegashi is irrimi tenkan, as uke recovers I enter a second time, sankaku no irrimi, ending with my inside foot forward. The triangular foot change slides away from uke, making distance for my kick or punch; if my distance is too close I can continue to enter and apply a hip throw (o goshi, seoi nage, uki goshi, etc.) or foot sweep (osoto guruma). If its just right, I apply kotegashi.

My body structure is oriented towards either striking or pursuing uke; the "come around" mentality of uke should be something like, "oh %#$^, he's behind me - I need to get out of here." I find the kotegashi demonstrated in the IP video to be difficult to apply to a non-compliant uke or seasoned grappler - you are not getting behind those people...they need to get away from you.

One thing I did not see in the video (but it may be there) is that I stress kuzushi during the initial contact with uke. Uke should be off-balance by the time I have committed to tenkan; my tenkan movement should further pressure uke's balance to the front (either froward or rearward) to create a toe-heavy stance. It can be subtle, but If you ain't got that kuzushi you ain't getting behind a good uke...