View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #39
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: Peace

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
I don't understand how this can be applied by a 'Christian': for the character of Christ is described as a pacifist - turn the other cheek, etc., whereas aikido is concerned with, as you say, 'stopping weapons'.
Hm, I don't think that Jesus can be described as a pacifist in the sense we understand it today.

eg. one possible interpretation of "turn the other cheek" just means a simpel historical thing:
Don't accept to be seen as a slave, an unfree man (... Jew) who is hit with the back of the hand by a free man ( ... Roman). But turn your head, present your other cheek and make the aggressor hit you like a free man. ... Stand up for your rights.
Ever heard that?

(There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. Gal 3, 28)

Quote:
So aikido is only open to you insofar as your pre-existing beliefs don't clash with those inherent in aikido.
The beliefs inherent in aikido don't clash with christian theology. They would, if it was necessary to believe in the world view of oomoto kyo. But that's not the case.
I worked a lot about the theories of aiki compared to the christian beliefs during my academical training. Very interesting! But no clashes.

What would you understand then as the pre-existing beliefs inherent in aikido?

Quote:
I know that most Christians don't actually follow the teachings of 'Christ', ...
Or what you understand as the teachings of Christ?
It's a pity that "christian beliefs" are often defined by fundamentalists.

Quote:
.. since I saw the 'Can Christians do Aikido?' thread. ...
Well there are some pastors like me doing aikido here in Germany. We have teachers of religious education here and so on.