View Single Post
Old 08-20-2002, 01:49 AM   #20
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Ah. An apologist. Well, at least you got the intention of my last paragraph right...but not the rest.

This is not about religion, crusades, or getting everyone to hold hands and sing "Kumbaya." Nor is this about pointing fingers ("Israeli's bad; Palestine good").

I must, however, respectfully disagree: there IS a right and wrong (even as there are more than 2 sides to an issue, or even a coin).

No matter how many people die in a conflict, more death does not make it right. No matter how much evil the IDF does, there are still good Israeli's, just as there are good Palestinians, no matter how many bombers there are.

It's absurd to say that this is an issue between 2 armies, or governments. Israel is our #1 recipient of military aid: we send them attack helicopters, weapons, and even build the bulldozers that knock down the houses of ppl who did nothing. Tanks and copters, versus rocks and suicide bombers? Please!

I will not get into a silly debate over who was there first. What concerns me is what is going on now; and right now we support a violent invading army (thankfully beginning withdrawal, if all goes well) with no checks on its brutality. If the IDF is so guilt-free, then why did they fight so hard to keep out observers? The UN?

I'm sorry that you do not see the dichotomy of training in a martial art of harmony, while not seeing the paradox of supporting such casual brutality. I think its fine that you do not support anything I believe in...I never asked you to. I did ask, however, for ppl to question, not to blindly accept, and to take responsibility for the actions of their government.

Please read my other posts before you start slinging around the R-word (for religion). Aikido is not my religion or crusade. It is my Way (Do), and my Way is unique, as is everyone's.